- celebrate a bright debut. yaa gyasi will be reading from her first novel, homegoing at harvard book store tonight. her book traces the history of two half sisters over the course of 3 centuries - from an african village to modern-day san franciso. homegoing has been described as "a blazing success" and "the most important book of the summer". i can't wait to meet the author and hear the passages read in her voice.
- get (slightly) out of town. sometimes heading just a short distance outside of the city can provide a much needed new perspective. i have an event to attend in concord this weekend and plan to visit all of my favorite stops in that neighborhood - the old manse, walden pond and the decordova sculpture park and museum will make for the perfect new england afternoon.
- laugh it up. local comedian xazmin garza is performing a set at the comedy studio in harvard square tonight. there's nothing better than a cocktail and some good laughs on a friday night.
- brunch it up. i owe a good friend a birthday brunch so we're heading to s+s in inman square for some bellinis and hearty french toast. this place has been running since 1919 so they have their brunch game down to a science. it's not the hippest place but i've never had to wait and their parisian french toast is amazing.
- sammy time. rumor has it blackbird donuts in the south end is offering a new donut ice cream sandwich on the menu for the summer. i love a good donut but these guys do it better than almost any place i know. be sure to grab one of these treats before the end of the season!